Naturalization is the process through which immigrants can become citizens of the United States. When a person with a green card satisfies naturalization criteria—such as being at least 18 years of age, having lived in the United States for at least 3 or 5 years as a permanent resident, and demonstrating good moral character—they can then file an application for naturalization with the USCIS.
To apply for naturalization, hiring an attorney is not a requirement. However, the process can be very difficult to handle on your own. Having an expert naturalization lawyer in your corner can help you meet your goals and increase your chances of everything going smoothly on your path to becoming a U.S. citizen
The Benefits of U.S. Citizenship
Naturalization in the United States has several benefits, including:
- The ability to live and work freely in the United States without fear of deportation
- The ability to vote in elections and have a say in the direction that the country goes
- Access to government benefits such as healthcare and Social Security
In addition, once you become a U.S. citizen, you will also be able to sponsor certain relatives (such as your spouse or children) to come and live in the United States as well.
Ways a Naturalization Attorney Can Help You
There are 3 main ways an attorney can help you. They are:
- Make sure the requirements are met. The first way an attorney can help is by ensuring that you meet all of the requirements for naturalization, as discussed above. An attorney will be able to evaluate your unique situation to ensure that you meet all of the qualifications before moving forward with the application process.
- Identify and help gather required documents. An attorney can help gather all of the required documentation for your application. This includes things like your birth certificate, proof of residency, and marriage certificate. Once again, an experienced attorney will know exactly what documents are needed and can help obtain them if necessary.
- Represent you during your naturalization interview. Once everything is in order and your application is ready to be submitted, an attorney can represent you during your interview with USCIS (the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). This interview can be nerve-wracking but having legal representation by your side will help ensure that everything goes smoothly and give you the best chance possible of becoming a naturalized citizen of the United States.
Contact the New York City Area Naturalization Attorneys at Nonaj Law
The expert naturalization lawyers at Nonaj Law are committed to helping their clients throughout all stages of the immigration process to achieve the best possible results.
From personal and professional experience, we understand the challenges that those seeking citizenship may have and are genuinely devoted to providing our clients with compassionate and knowledgeable immigration law services. To schedule a free consultation, call 917-423-7259 today.
We proudly serve New York City, Queens, Brooklyn, Jersey City, and the other surrounding communities.